Friday, September 10, 2010

Pretty in Pink!


WOW! I am not a huge pink person, but the following images showcase the various shades of pink in very pretty ways! Pretty is certainly the word... hence the title of this post!

Pink is used to describe a pale red color and the use of the word was first recorded in the late 17th century. But, did you know that the color pink actually has a namesake? It's named after the flowering plants of the Dianthus genus, called... yes, Pinks!! The name is derived from "...the frilled edge of the flowers—the verb "to pink" dates from the 14th century and means "to decorate with a perforated or punched pattern..." (Wikipedia). That is so interesting, take a look, here are two examples of flowers from the Dianthus genus:

Dianthus Plumarius

Dianthus Barbatus

Isn't that a cool little factoid!? I learn something new every day, and what a fun tidbit of knowledge! Don't be surprised if you see me using the word pink in its verb form... like....let's pink this baby out! LOL :D

To some, pink may seem like a little girl color, it can be quite garish or immature depending on how it's used, that's why I've pulled together this bunch of images for your inspiration.... If you like pink but are not sure how to incorporate it into your existing style, never fear hunny! Scroll on down and you might get a few good ideas! As for me... I might be having a change of heart with pink since lately I've seen how nicely it pairs with the color turquoise!! ;)

xoxo
<3




I LOVE this patio and this bohemian apartment with the exposed brick...


Vibrant and cheery hallway!



Perfect example of how awesome pink and turquoise go together... check out that table!!!
I'm in love!

































There's something so striking about this image... pink and gray match so well! I imagine this terrace dining room to be somewhere in Europe....



(All images via a Google key word image search)

No comments:

Post a Comment