Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Shopping with Bob, once again

"People pay for music these days?" --a friend


Here's how music can work: you go to hear a band you haven't heard, you like the band, you go and buy some of their music.

Here's how music can work: you hear a lot of buzz about an upcoming release, you check out a few songs, you are intrigued, you buy some songs.

Here's how music can work: you have a song from 40 years ago come into your head, you realize that you miss the song, so you track it down and get it.

Here's how music can work: an artist whom you haven't seen in a long time, whom you haven't had a chance to see, begins releasing a variety of live shows, and you reacquaint yourself with what he has been up to.

Here's how music can work: when they were young, you exposed your children to a lot of different kinds of music; now that they are grown, they return the favor and you hear some music that you'd never had discovered on your own that you really like.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying that my love affair with eMusic continues. Six bucks ($5.99 actually) gets me 12 songs a month, plus I bought one of their value packs that got me another 40 songs for about 40 cents a song, and I've been using it to add to the ever-growing Ipod summer mix. Here are some of the highlights:


Tab Benoit--"Lost In Your Lovin'(live)" (mp3)

After seeing a scorching live show from Mr. Benoit at Riverbend, I owned 24 of his songs the next day. I have a friend who continues on a mission to find the next Stevie Ray Vaughn and is continually disappointed by the next generation of white blues shredders, and I admit to sharing a somewhat less-consuming desire to find a great blues guitarist whom I haven't heard. But now I know that man is Benoit. Playing in a style that blends blues, r + b, and Cajun influences, he makes the blues fun again. Right now, I can't think of a better live show I've seen on a hot, hot summer night. The song I've chosen kicks of with these memorable lyrics:

She's got a bad way of doin' me good,
I can't help myself.


The National--"Conversation 16" (mp3)

Some critics and listeners are apparently befuddled by the popularity of The National. I'm not. They sing damn good songs with memorable melodies and mysterious lyrics. When has that not been a recipe for success (think R.E.M.). "Conversation 16" starts with two very pretty stanzas that open with

I think the kids are in trouble
I don't know what all the troubles are for

before morphing into different melodies for the second half of the song, which dwells on the memorable, repeated line, "I was afraid I'd eat your brains."


Hot Tuna--"New Song (For The Morning) (live 2003)" (mp3)

Jorma Kaukonen has always been one of my guitar heroes, especially on the acoustic. Splitting from the Jefferson Airplane was the best decision he and bassist Jack Casady ever made, since it freed them to pursue a sound that blended traditional blues and roots music with some of the wildest electric music ever played. The band seems to play mostly acoustic now, and it has been good to check back in with them. "New Song (For The Morning)" was one of my favorites from their very first album, and it is good to hear them revisit it as part of this very good live show from 2003. I'm not sure it's a CD, per say, may only be available from sites like eMusic.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young--"Almost Cut My Hair" (mp3)

One of the top contenders for the most outrageously-glorious hippie songs ever written, "Almost Cut My Hair" deserves a spot in the post for both the blistering guitar interplay between Stills and Young and for Crosby's impassioned lyrics:

Almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day
It was gettin' kinda long
I coulda said it was in my way
But I didn't and I wonder why
I guess I feel like letting my freak flag fly

God, I love those lyrics. A fresh listen will remind you that Crosby is absolutely singing this from the heart with pure conviction. If you've never felt like letting your freak flag fly, maybe there's still time.

Colin Meloy--"We Both Go Down Together (live)" (mp3)

I've enjoyed the occasional Decemberists' song here or there over the past few years, especially "The Crane Wife" and "16 Military Wives," but I was intrigued when I stumbled across the singer's solo show on eMusic. The typical Decemberist song seems to be so weighty and even melodramatic, so there was something refreshing about hearing some of them stripped down and presented like this. I like Meloy's stage presence, too. It sounds like he doesn't take himself to seriously.

I've bought some good stuff this year so far; I hope you enjoy hearing this little sampling and that it sends you off on your own searches.

No comments:

Post a Comment