Thursday, November 19, 2009

Constructive Criticism vs. Destructive Criticism

I was perusing one of my favorite blogs last night (Apartment Therapy) when I saw a new post pop up called How To: Turn Tea Bags into Curtains. Now, don't get me wrong, the first thought that popped into my head was not one of admiration! In my personal opinion, I don't like this idea because it's not practical, it's wasteful, it has the great potential to get yucky over time and it just looks bad for being so tedious. However, I refrained from commenting any of that, I simply stated that it was interesting that someone had the idea to do this, but that I did not like it at all. On the other hand, others were less reserved in expressing their opinions, thus leading some to get touchy about the negative comments.

I say, if Apartment Therapy specifically asked whether or not we (the readers) liked the result, why should anyone refrain from saying that they don't? I could have said I thought it was ugly, but I feel that is an unfair judgment to make about another person's art... After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone has their distinct tastes and unique creative eye. A public forum that seeks the reader's opinion isn't solely for "OOOOH I LOVE IT" kind of comments.

Granted, some expressions of distaste can be harsh and may deter others from sharing their art for fear of the public opinion. There are a lot of rude and tasteless people out there, but my advice is this: don't waste your time caring what others think, it's your life and in the end doing what makes you happy is what will count the most. There is nothing worse than hindering or conforming your self, your talent, your inspirations or your aspirations for the sake of pleasing or impressing others. Life is too short to live according to another person's standards. Be who you are and do what you love!

Regardless, my opinion remains the same, but I'm curious, what do you think of the curtain made from tea bags?................

No comments:

Post a Comment